Friday, February 3, 2017

Education Secretary



Betsy DeVos's nomination for Education Secretary is another example of how President Trump's presidency so far has been anything but a democratic process. Facing criticism from my peers, I asked my friends to give President Trump a chance to lead our country. My public support for Trump was probably the remnants of a time when I wanted Trump to run for President. I held on to stubborn feelings when I thought Trump would be a great President as I solicited support for him. My friends laughed at my patriotism to believe in Trump because he was President. They reminded me of all the leaders before Trump that supported laws that were unjust and morally decayed. Fortunately, insightful leaders came behind the leaders of tyranny to govern our great country with U.S. citizens in mind and rejected unjust laws and made changes that moved America forward to become a country of civic living. I said, "Give Trump a chance."

Betsy DeVos' vision for public education is to create a separate but equal school system. She supports charter schools over traditional public schools systems. DeVos is a member of the Republican Party known for her advocacy of school choice, voucher programs, and ties to the Reformed Christian community.[1][4][5] She was Republican National Committeewoman for Michigan from 1992 to 1997 and served as chairwoman of the Michigan Republican Party from 1996 to 2000, with reelection to the post in 2003. DeVos has been a defender of the Detroit charter school system[6][7] and she is a member of the board of the Foundation for Excellence in Education. She has served as chairwoman of the board of Alliance for School Choice and heads the All Children Matter PAC (Wikipeida, ). President Trump nominated her to govern over the country's educational system. Why was she chosen? If DeVos was nominated because of her beliefs and related background experience, the selection would not be a point of contention. Any qualified person should be considered for the position. The issue is that DeVos is one more nominee, one of the several previous nominees, that seems to be getting nominated because of their billionaire or millionaire CV and their personal vendetta to push a personal goal into law through their relationship with Trump. Devos stated, "My family is the largest single contributor of soft money to the national Republican Party … I have decided, however, to stop taking offense at the suggestion that we are buying influence," the piece reads. "Now, I simply concede the point. We expect to foster a conservative governing philosophy consisting of limited government and respect for traditional American virtues. We expect a return on our investment; we expect a good and honest government. Furthermore, we expect the Republican Party to use the money to promote these policies and, yes, to win elections." The practice of passing laws though a politician that you have financially backed has now become obsolete. The new practice is to "donate enough money to my presidential campaign and I will hire you so that you can change the laws your damn self". The pattern is obvious. Scott Pruitt is an adversary of EPA. Rex Tillerson has a conflict of interest with Putin. Betsy DeVos is an advocate for charter schools. Ben Carson is Housing Secretary? The practice of appointing people based on campaign contribution can put our great country at risk. >>>>>>

I support protecting our country from attack. I support making decisions that are in the best interest of the people of this great country. What I don't agree with, and what Trump's actions remind me of, is that of a country with a King, a communist structure, or governing structure based on a tranny. He fires or goes after people that offer a contrary position to his own. Presently, our country is a country that allows open discussion, a difference of opinion, and room for consensus. Each day I watch the democratic fabric of our nation being pulled into dislodged strands of string. Education is not excluded from the political carnage left by changing presidential-executive orders. I am still hopeful that these appointments will improve our great country. Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment